Sunday, February 18, 2007

18 febrero - shipping bikes will be hard, chaos & noise in Acapulco

There was a birthday party near Hotel Acapulco where we were staying last night from about 8 PM until about 2 or so in the morning. It was extremely noisy and Jen got pretty grumpy. Also, traffic is heavy and the exhaust fumes are disagreeable. Although Acapulco is not without charms, it seems to be following the standard developing city model of being destroyed by smog, noise, and cars.

In addition, shipping the bikes seems like it could be difficult. Continental charges $100 for bikes but they don´t have boxes, and bike shops at least the ones open on Sunday don´t have boxes either (bike shops receive their bikes in plastic bags). We will try to look for boxes at Office Depot. My challenge is greater since I have a recumbent bike, and recumbent bikes and airplanes don´t go together very well since recumbents are so bulky when shipped. Jen and I have decided that we will sell our bikes if we can get a reasonable offer to avoid having to ship them.

Lots of Mexicans are interested in my recumbent bike, although of course many of them don´t have much money so I don´t know if I´ll be able to sell it.

The noise, stress, and dirt has been getting to Jen and me today. We`re trying to get out of this city after figuring out what to do with our bikes. (I´ll be travelling with my folding Bike Friday in future)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home