Thursday, August 31, 2006

Day 55 (Thu) morning hike #1 Bear's Creek (photos delayed)

(Hi I don't have a GPRS connection so I can't post photos. I will post the photos later when I can)

This morning I hiked the approximately 2 miles from Telluride to the Bear Creek Falls. I have only my cycling sandals, but they were adequate for this hike although I couldn't hike trails much more rugged than that. I'll take the gondola to St. Sophia at the summit and try some hiking there.

I'm in pretty good shape now, though I think recumbent conditioning transfers less directly to hiking than does safety bicycle conditioning, so it was a reasonably challenging hike. I left the trail head around 09:30, arrived between 10:30 - 11:00 and spoke with a Daoist hippie named Christopher. He remarked that Telluride was a "fine example of the American hedonistic lifestyle". And recommended that instead of reading books and "educating" ourselves, we should get knowledge from our ancestors and see the world "through the eyes of a child". Interesting guy.

I felt some clarity in my thoughts on this hike. It is the disadvantage of the road cycle tourist that one can never escape the automobile, though traffic is quite low in some places. I thought about doing the Appalachian Trail next year in 2007. I'll keep thinking about that as it is a very difficult undertaking, more difficult than cycling the US, in my opinion.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home