Sunday, June 18, 2006

Scenic deception falls on hwy 2

I was overconfident planning my ascent on hwy 2 over Steven's pass. I was a bit undernourished and bought little food figuring that it was only 4000 feet and I had climbed higher.

My strength started giving out near the Deception Falls visitor center. I should have recognized my need to eat and cooked some pasta with my alcohol stove but I decided to press on. The visitor center has some trails through the forest and nice views of the waterfall. It is worth stopping.

Overall, highway 20, the North Cascades Highway is slightly more scenic however I thought hwy 2 was a better choice as a self supported tourist because there were more resupply opportunities though still limited and Stevens Pass is about 4000' in elevation rather than approximately 5000'/5500' for Rainy and Washington pass, respectively, on hwy 20.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home