Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Martes 12/26: Guerrero Negro

These past few days have been a bit stressful. The desert in Baja is really big, and I got plenty of desert when crossing Nevada. Plus, it is cold at night. The weather is unusually cold for Baja, not what Jen or I had in mind for touring in "Mexico". Jen hasn't been sleeping well and we have been arguing sometimes. I think this will get better when both of us settle in and we get south where it is warmer and we're not in the bloody huge desert.

Jen and I both have some issues with our bikes and Jen got a flat. So I dismounted my rear Marathon tire, took out my tire liner, and gave it to Jen for her rear tire to protect it. Now I'm running a 47-559 Marathon Plus rear tire in the back which should give good protection, but unfortunately it is rubbing my rear fender. I may have to take my fender off and give it away or throw it away. I'm trying to adjust it but there just isn't enough clearance for a 47mm tire and a fender.

Guerrero Negro is very nice; I prefer it to the fancier tourist spots. The traffic is quite mellow and relaxed. We tried to get to the Old Wharf to see if we could see any passing Grey Whales. Unfortunately, there was a gate in the way and we couldn't get past. The tour companies try to get you to take an official tour, of course. We did bathe ourselves in the salt water near the salt processing plant and wash a few things (with biosoap, of course). I like it here.

Jen's tire lost all pressure, maybe the patch didn't hold. She's patching it now while I'm in the internet cafe. We ran into two guys who were at the REI garage sale in Berkeley a few weeks ago. Small world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home