Sunday, September 17, 2006

Day 72 (Sun 09/17) Hanksville to Torrey, UT

We had breakfast with french toast at Blondie's. During the morning ride, we stopped at Mesa Food Market; Mag had a smoothie and we both bought fruit. Look on Mag's blog for a photo of Ralph the proprietor. We had a picnic lunch at a rest stop and I was so hungry. I devoured a ham sandwich.

After we arrived at Capitol Reef national park which was to be our final destination, we took a 1 mile hike to see Hickman natural bridge. It was worth it but after biking we were even more tired & hungry. Later we picked apples in the Fruita Historic District ($1 per pound, we each got a pound of Golden Delicious). See Mag's blog for photo picking apples.

The campground was full. I had experience with state parks where they don't turn away cyclists but apparently at national parks they don't care that you're on a bicycle. I was so surprised that in a huge national park they could deny cyclists a place to stay, I almost lost my composure. I was tired and hadn't recovered my full strength, and Mag could ride no more, so we couldn't tackle the 11 mile uphill to Torrey, UT. Ranger Plants (will post photo later) drove us and our bikes in his pickup the 11 miles to Torrey, UT where we got lodging and a nice dinner at the Rimrock cafe & inn (lodging: $65 for 2, dinner, about $45 for 2).

We didn't make up the mileage from the Capitol Reef park, so yes, in effect we "cheated" but I'm OK with it. We were stuck in an awkward situation.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home