Monday, July 03, 2006

(Apex / Hancock NY) Flood devastated area, washed out bridges, roads & houses

When I finally made it back to "bike route" 17, a sign warned me that the road was closed. The security staff told me the bridge was washed out about 3 miles up but didn't know much else. I decided to press on and met two friendly locals "Bobby Preston" and "Bucky Brown". They fed me a delicious sandwich and offered me a place to stay, but due to my tight schedule to meet Maggie I decided to press on. We convoyed (me on bike, them on ATVs) to the washed out bridge which had a few planks on one side for pedestrian use. There was substantial road damage in the area, often one entire lane had disappeared and houses, though mostly standing were often half destroyed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home